Department of Microbiology
Year of Establishment: - 1989
HOD- Dr. Sarayu Mohana, M Sc., Ph.D
Department of Microbiology envisions a life-oriented and student centric education that empowers the students through a humanizing and liberating process, to be agents of transformation and development at different levels of life. We conduct various awareness programmes concerned with health care involving students to promote facts about various issues (AIDS, Dengue,Cancer, lifestyle diseases etc.).Enabled, empowered, educated and aware, they respond pro-actively to concerns and conflicts inherent in today’s reality, especially those of women and persons who are unable to exercise their freedom to be human, and work for the integrity of creation.
The mission of the Department of Microbiology is to provide students with a life centric holistic education by upgrading curriculum based on industry and research requirements,conducting skill based credit programmes and encouraging students to work on research projects even during the UG course.
Year of Establishment: 1989
Dean: Prof. Vimala C.M
HOD: Dr. Sarayu Mohana, M Sc., Ph.D
- BSc. CBM(Chemistry, Botany, Microbiology)
- BSc. CZM(Chemistry, Zoology, Microbiology)
Community Development programme
- Germ Control Cell
- Dengue Awareness programme
- Blood grouping Directory
- VGST sponsored project – Isolation and characterization of petrol degrading bacteria from motorbike petrol tanks( 2011-2012)
- Study of air microflora from wineyards and its comparison to flora of Big Banyan tree( 2014-2015)
- Effect of mobile phones on normal skin microflora. (2015 - 2016)
- Efficiency of different mouthwashes on oral microflora (2015 - 2016)
- Microbial analysis of the Beer samples post fermentation. (2015 - 2016)
The department has 2 well equipped labs and an Inoculation room to facilitate course work as well as research by students and staff
Laboratories are equipped with high-end instruments like Binocular Microscope, Cooling Microfuge, Microprocessor based shaker incubator, UV- Vis spectrophotometer Electrophoresis Units, Gerber’s Centrifuge, Laminar Air flow Units, Fungal Hoods, Autoclaves, Hot air oven, Distillation unit.
Seminars and Workshops conducted
- Workshop titled “Little Things, Big Ideas”(2016)
- One day Seminar on Stem Cell Biology by Dr. Ramesh Bhonde, Dean, School of Regenerative medicine, Manipal university , Bengaluru. On “Adult stem cells” and Rajarshi Pal , Assistant Professor, School of Regenerative medicine, Manipal university , Bengaluru on “Embryonic stem cells” February 2016
- One day Seminar on “Introduction to Antibiotics Discovery” Maneesh Paul, CEO and Co founder of Samarth Biosciences. January 2015
- Guest Lecture on “Pursuing research in Biological Sciences in Germany” by Dr. Swathi Srivatsa, Max Plank University ( 2015)
- Guest Lecture on “Why Science ? ” by Prof. Dipshikha Chakravorty, Department of Microbiology, IISC , Bangalore, February 2014
- Workshop on “Basic Techniques in Microbiology” for students of Legacy School, Bengaluru. February 2014
- Organized National Conference on “GREEN WEALTH-A STRATEGY FOR HEALTH” in February 2013
- Seminar on ‘Your Degree and Industry Perspective by Dr. Aparna Kashinath , Senior Manager, Clinigene International, Bangalore, August 20th 2013
- Seminar on “Ricin as a potential therapeutic” by Prof Anjali Karande, Department of Biochemistry, IISC, Bangalore, December 2013
- Guest lecture by Dr. R Mahadevan, Department of Reproductive Biology, IISC on the scope of research in the field of classical genetics.(2012)
- Guest lecture on Tissue transplantation and MHC by Dr. Anjali. Karande, Department of Biochemistry, IISC.(2012)
Recent activities (2016 - 2017):
- The department conducted a Community Development Program on Personal Hygiene - “The right way to Hand-wash” throughout Mount Carmel College (PU and UG). The campaign aimed to create awareness among the Teachers, Support Staff and Students of MCC, and also among the Staff of UCO BANK on the importance of handwashing.
- The department hosted CINE-SCIENCE - ‘A Science Film Festival’ where science-fiction movies were screened for students.
- Published the Annual Newsletter - MICROZONE
- Organized a field visit to Nandini Dairy” KMF, Bengaluru.
- Launched a Blog-“Small things matter where students are encouraged to write on their topic of interest in the field of Microbiology.
- Organized a Journal Club where students meet to discuss research papers from various journals on topics related to Microbiology.
Department Library: Library is furnished with 2000 informative books
Student Progression and Placements
About 95 % of the students opt for higher education every year either in National or International Universities.
- Radha Krishna Kumar – Craig Venter institute U.S.A
- Swathi Srivatsa, Chaithali Mukerji, - Max Planck University, Germany
- Madhura Mukhopadhyay – Human biology at University of Copenhagen
- Ishwarya – IIT, Mumbai
- Tejeshwari – MSc. Hospital Management, Acharya College
- Divya KB – Biocon
- Pallavi Ananth – Quintiles
- Niharika N – P.G Diploma, CFTRI, Mysore
- Pushya Pradeep – Integrated PhD University of Maryland, USA
- Namita Narsimha – Forensic Science, King’s College, London, UK.
- Deepika Koushik – MSc. Applied Biotechnology, Westminister College, UK
- Prashanti V, Nandita Kamat, Sanchari Ghose – MSc. Microbiology, VIT
- Richita Mary – MBA Healthcare, Manipal University
- Vidisha – working at EcoEdu, Bangalore
- Priyanka – working at Mphasis, Bangalore
- Udari – working at Durdans Hospital in Sri Lanka
- Tomali Chakravorty- MSc. Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamraj University
Student Achievements: Active participation at various inter-collegiate fests and won prizes
Microbiology Association – “MICROZONE”
The Department of Microbiology, Mount Carmel College has always strived towards utilizing scientific knowledge to alleviate various problems faced by our community. Numerous initiatives such as the Germ Control Cell, Blood Grouping and the Dengue Awareness Programme intend to do just that. The Dengue Awareness Programme aims at enriching our developing community with the knowledge of the disease, its control and prevention. Starting at the lowest educational level, the students of the Microbiology Association, Microzone seek to tackle the growing problem that India is facing with respect to the inestimable spread of dengue and the inefficiency in its management, through various creative forms of expression.
The Microbiology Department of Mount Carmel College has always believed in academic proficiency through practical exposure. With the advent of the New Year, the Department of Microbiology introduced their new laboratory extension. This was to aid the learning process in the lab by providing the students with a larger and more comfortable work space. A workshop titled “Little Things, Big Ideas” was instituted this year. This brought the students together as an entity to learn basic skills in this field of Biology preparing them for the bacterial world and beyond. The programme was conducted in the Microbiology laboratory, providing all the participants access to our state of the art equipment. The annual Microbiology Newsletter, Microzone, contains a collection of articles pertaining to the field of biology, written by the students of Microbiology. This magazine helps the students understand the latest developments in the scientific world. The Department of Microbiology thus creates various opportunities for students to broader their horizons and realize their fullest potentials.
Paper Titles :-
- SEMESTER I
- Paper 1: Fundamentals Of Microbiology
- SEMESTER II
- Paper 2: Microbial Diversity,Growth and Culturing
- SEMESTER III
- Paper 3: Biophysics, Biochemistry, and Microbial Physiology
- SEMESTER IV
- Paper 4: Microbial Genetics, Molecular Biology and Recombinant DNA technology
- SEMESTER V
- Paper 5: Immunology and Medical Microbiology
- Paper 6: Food microbiology and Biostatistics
- SEMESTER VI
- Paper 7: Industrial Microbiology and Bioinformatics
- Paper 8: Elective paper:
Agricultural and Environmental Microbiology Or Diagnostic Microbiology
Department News Letter
Department mail id:- email@example.com